Friday, December 29, 2017

Cooling issues

The 899, like its bigger brother suffers from insufficient cooling. Not as bad but still. Had the pleasure to ride and race at Mugello and Misano during summer. It was hot (38-40 Celsius), even for Italians, they called the heat wave “Lucifer” so all bikes regardless of brand, except those with race radiators struggled. I had removed the oil pan and re-mounted my fan. After 3 laps, I was seeing 99 degrees on mu display. Not healthy. Even in my native cold Sweden I usually ride with 92 degrees and I have been told that the CPU on the 899 reduces power over 85 degrees to save the engine.

Therefore, I have invested in a kit from JM Race radiators in the Netherlands. My theory is that the heat exchanger doesn’t work well. Its not used for the Panigale V4, so I think Ducati also realized that it was a bad idea. The JM Raceradiator has a more traditional set up with air cold oil radiator.


No comments:

Post a Comment